An engineered structural growing media and soil conditioner
|Label||Spec Sheet US
Spec Sheet EU
PumicePlus is an engineered soil developed in coordination with a green roof expert with installations across North America and around the world. PumicePlus is composed of two parts, an inert material that ensures structural integrity, and carefully selected growing inputs which provide the foundation for healthy root growth. It aids in the establishment and long-term health of plants when used in green roofs, green walls, containers, landscaped spaces, or specialized soil projects.
A Uniquely Formulated Granular
PumicePlus combines a granular mix of premium ingredients including Suståne Aerobically Composted Turkey Litter, Coconut Coir, Feathermeal, (UK/EU: Non-GMO Corn Gluten Meal), Langbeinite, Worm Castings, Humates, Seaweed, and Mycorrhizal fungi. Each ingredient has been micronized and combined into every individual granule to create a supercharged grow media that is rich in biostimulants and microbiology essential to healthy plant growth.
Benefits of Suståne PumicePlus
Reduces soil compaction and loosens heavy soils, increasing aeration and drainage. This allows oxygen to enter the root system and carbon dioxide respirated by the roots to exit. The exchange of gases in the root zone is critical to having healthy and vibrant plants.
Contains millions of micropores that allow it to store water, nutrients, and microbiology and releases them slowly back into the soil. This creates a water and nutrient bank that will prevent runoff and save valuable resources for when they are needed most.
Supplies humic acid: Humates increase nutrient uptake, drought tolerance, promote beneficial microbial activity, and buffer soils.
Contains an optimal balance of primary, secondary, and micro-nutrients needed for optimal plant growth.
PumicePlus is pH Neutral and improves buffering against changes in soil pH.
Increases the soil’s cation exchange capacity and improves soil structure, porosity, and stability leading to greater root development.
Safe for plants, people, and the environment. As a naturally occurring, and easily accessible material, pumice has a 1300% smaller carbon footprint than other mined soil media. No water, no heating, and no chemicals.
Why Pumice Stone?
Pumice (right) is the cornerstone component of PumicePlus and provides many advantages:
It is highly porous and holds both water and air— critical to well-conditioned, aerated soils.
Pumice has a naturally lightweight structure which provides an excellent platform for microbial colonization. This creates an ideal balance between drainability, moisture retention and gas exchange in the root zone.
Pumice has a rough surface texture which provides the benefit of creating stable installations that might otherwise be prone to compacting, contracting, shifting or swelling - keeping landscapes true to form.
Always Safe for Plants, People, and the Environment
- Pumice has a 1300% smaller carbon footprint than other mined soil media.
- Manufactured by Suståne in the USA at an EPA permitted facility.
- Pathogen and weed-free, no blood or bone products. Allowed for export to over 60 countries worldwide.
- Aerobic composting eliminates animal and rodent attraction to the application site.
- Contains naturally occurring beneficial bacteria and fungi that are necessary to begin the nutrient life cycle in poor soil.
- Suståne is fully composted eliminating the need for sterilization, permitting a healthy environment for beneficial microbial populations.
|Total Nitrogen (N)||0.2%|
|0.035% Ammoniacal Nitrogen|
|0.035% Water Soluble Organic Nitrogen|
|0.28% Water Insoluble Organic Nitrogen*|
|Available Phosphate (P2O5)||0.2%|
|Soluble Potash (K2O)||0.2%|
Derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, langbeinite, and worm castings.
*0.28% slowly available nitrogen from aerobically composted turkey litter and feather meal.
Nonplant food ingredients and specifications
|Kelp (Ascophyllum nodosom)||0.4%|
|Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi (propagules/g)||1.5|
|Bulk Density lb./cu. ft||45|
Particle size: 0.6mm - 9.5mm
- Use up to 100% PumicePlus as the medium in Green Roof installation.
- Use up to 100% PumicePlus as the medium in hydroponic or soilless grow systems.
- Blend 10-50% PumicePlus by volume with compost, peat moss, soil, or any potting mix to create an enhanced growing media.
- Soil preparation:
- Light, sandy soil: 21 lb. per 100 ft2 of bed
- Medium, clay loam soil: 15 lb. per 100 ft2 of bed
- Heavy, silty, clay loam: 9 lb. per 100 ft2 of bed
- For bio-remediation and restoration, use 150 lb. per 1,000 ft2 (75 kg per 100 m2) in heavily damaged soils. For use as an ecological filter, use PumicePlus in berms, in a layer for drain tile, or in other run-off situations to remove suspended solids, phosphorus, metals, and oil from runoff through physical straining, ion exchange, carbonate precipitation, and biofiltration.
- These rates are intended as guidelines. Suståne encourages a trial prior to changing any soil media and plant nutrition program.
- Do not steam sterilize product.
- Monitor electrical conductivity (EC) of container substrate throughout production cycle.
- Adjust application rates as needed.