Suståne® 4-6-4 Compost Tea Bags
Designed for the avid organic gardener. This permeable fertilizer pack can be left to steep in a watering can overnight to make a Compost Tea brew for topical application. Suståne 4-6-4 Compost Tea Bags: Provide single dose applications of Suståne organic slow release nitrogen fertilizer. Suståne compost tea is designed to provide organic plant nutrition in a completely biodegradable filter pack.
What is Compost Tea?
Compost tea is the result of adding high quality compost that is rich in beneficial micro-organisms to water with the presence of oxygen and allow it to “brew”. When these microbes are provided with water, oxygen and a food source the start to multiply rapidly, populating the “tea” with billions of beneficial microbes.
Microbiology from aerobic compost provides numerous benefits to plants and soil. Beneficial micro-organisms compete for resources with the disease causing bacteria (pathogens) resulting in less disease pressure and healthier plants.
The microbes also go to work converting the nutrients from the compost to water-soluble, plant available form. This process makes the organic nutrients more readily available and easier for plants to take up. Soluble nutrients result in a faster response from the plant. Some composts are very rich in nutrients resulting in a tea that works as a fertilizer as well as a soil enhancer. Other composts have very little nutrients and do not provide enough plant food for alone.
Making high quality compost tea can be difficult as composts tend vary significantly in quality. Poorly made compost may contain minimal beneficial micro-organisms and could potentially carry harmful pathogens that could multiply when the compost tea is brewed. Low numbers of microbial populations or the presence of harmful pathogens are often the result of “compost” that was made without oxygen present (anaerobic) or did not have the proper ratio of carbon to nitrogen (C:N) to reach temperature sufficient to kill harmful pathogens.
How Compost Tea is Used:
At the end of the brewing cycle, the water is teeming with beneficial micro-organisms and plant available nutrients. This water can be sprayed over the plant leaves and roots and used to drench the soil. Plants treated with compost tea will generally will look fuller, brighter and with less disease pressure.
How to Make High Quality Compost Tea:
Place 1 Suståne Compost Tea Bag into a water can (generally 1 tea bag per 1 gallon of water). The water should be between 60 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: (Optional)
Add an inexpensive fish tank bubbler and turn on periodically to keep the water aerated. CAUTION: do not leave the bubbler running unattended because the brew will become foamy and may overflow the watering can.
Allow the compost tea to sit (or steep) for at least 12 - 24 hours. This allows time for the microbial populations to multiply and breakdown the organic nutrients.
Apply to plant leaves and roots. Apply the normal amount of water as you would when watering the plant.
- Use Compost Tea Brew within 36 hours of placing the tea bag in the water. The brew will become anaerobic once the microbes have consumed all of the oxygen in the water.
- Do Not spray Compost Tea Brew directly onto existing fruits and vegetables. Use Compost Tea before plants begin to set fruit.
- After all of the Compost Tea is used, the remaining pouch may be placed in the garden or beneath a plant to continue to use the benefits of the compost fertilizer. Or place the used Compost Tea pouch into an existing compost pile to jump start the composting process!
Features of Suståne 4•6•4 Compost Tea Bags:
- Assures High Quality Compost - No need to make your own!
- Easy and safe to use.
- Made from Suståne nutrient dense compost based fertilizer
- Plant available organic nutrients. See the fast plant response!
- In permeable biodegradable paper filter packets.
- No measuring, no special equipment, no waste.
Benefits of Suståne 4-6-4 Compost Tea Bags
- Increases the nutrient and water holding capacity of the soil
- Strengthens plants tolerance against hot dry conditions
- Promotes greater root development
- Improves buffering against changes in soil pH
- Increases the soil’s ability to suppress plant pathogens
- Increases soil porosity and stability for greater root development and water holding capacity
Always Safe for Plants, People and the Environment
- Manufactured by Suståne in the USA at an EPA permitted facility.
- Pathogen and weed free, no sewage sludge, blood or meat products.
- Allowed for export to over 60 countries world wide.
- Aerobic composting eliminates animal and rodent attraction to application site.
- Contains naturally occurring beneficial bacteria and fungi that are necessary to begin nutrient life cycle in poor soil.
- Suståne is fully composted eliminating the need for sterilization, permitting a healthy environment for beneficial microbial populations.
|Total Nitrogen (N)||4%|
|0.4% Ammoniacal Nitrogen|
|0.4% Urea Nitrogen*|
|3.2% Water Insoluble Nitrogen**|
|Available Phosphate (P2O5)||6%|
|Soluble Potash (K2O)||4%|
Total Plant Nutrition
|Bulk Density lb./cu. ft||36|
|Salt Index (scale 1-100)||4|
|% of Total N as Slow Release||80%|
Derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, and sulfate of potash.
*3.2% slowly available nitrogen from aerobically composted turkey litter and feather meal