Suståne® 16-4-8 120-Day Natural Base + Coated Controlled Release Fertilizer
Designed for Professional Nursery, Greenhouse and Landscape Applications
120 - 150 Day Nutrient Release at 70º F
|Label||16-4-8 120 Day Spec Sheet
16-4-8 180 Day Spec Sheet
Suståne 16-4-8 was developed as a combination fertilizer to provide nursery stock with a time-released 4-1-2 nutrient package blended with a 50% Suståne humus-rich, premium natural base. Suståne 16-4-8 Nursery Fertilizer is available in both 180-day and 120-day release profiles to meet the needs of your production cycle. Suståne 16-4-8 Nursery Fertilizer is derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, polymer-coated urea, polymer-coated MAP, and polymer-coated potassium nitrate.
Suståne 16-4-8 is perfect for the production of perennials and woody ornamentals. Nursery producers can use Suståne 16-4-8 to grow beautiful Azalea, Holly, Weigelia, Crape Myrtle, Cotoneaster, Boxwood, Spiraea, Salvia, Hibiscus, and Daylily.
Features of Suståne 16-4-8:
- Suståne 16-4-8 120 Day provides a 3 - 4-month nutrient release in containers.
- Suståne Natural Base + CRF produces predictable results, dependable performance, and high-quality plants.
- Designed, tested, and proven to provide equal or superior growth results compared to similar formulations (4-1-2 ratio) of nursery industry standards.
- Suståne Natural Base + Controlled Release Fertilizers (CRF) is the new generation in environmentally friendly plant nutrition with minimal impact on the non-target environment.
- Enhances soil-plant nutrient exchange increasing uptake efficiency.
- Low burn potential, nutrients release gradually over time.
- Suståne 16-4-8 supplies all primary, secondary and micronutrients required for complete plant photosynthesis.
Benefits of Suståne 16-4-8
- Rich in humic acids
- Increases the nutrient and water holding capacity of the soil
- Strengthens plants tolerance against hot dry conditions
- Promotes greater root development
- Improves buffering against changes in soil pH
- Increases the soil’s ability to suppress plant pathogens
- Increases soil porosity and stability for greater root development and water holding capacity
Always Safe for Plants, People, and the Environment
- Manufactured by Suståne in the USA at an EPA permitted facility.
- Pathogen and weed-free, no blood or bone products. Allowed for export to over 60 countries worldwide...
- Aerobic composting eliminates animal and rodent attraction to the application site.
- Contains naturally occurring beneficial bacteria and fungi that are necessary to begin the nutrient life cycle in poor soil.
- Suståne is fully composted eliminating the need for sterilization, permitting a healthy environment for beneficial microbial populations.
|Total Nitrogen (N)||16%|
|0.2% Ammoniacal Nitrogen*|
|1.8% Nitrate Nitrogen*|
|2.6% Water Insoluble Nitrogen**|
|11.0% Urea Nitrogen*|
|0.4% Other Water Soluble Nitrogen|
|Available Phosphate (P2O5)||4%|
|Soluble Potash (K2O)||8%|
Total Plant Nutrition
|Bulk Density lb./cu. ft||42|
|Salt Index (scale 1-100)||4|
|% of Total N as Slow Release||90%|
Derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, polymer-coated urea, polymer coated potassium nitrate, polymer coated mono-ammonium phosphate, ureaform, hydrolyzed feather meal and sulfate of potash.
*12.7% controlled-release nitrogen derived from polymer-coated urea, polymer coated potassium nitrate and polymer coated mono-ammonium phosphate.
**2.6% slow-release nitrogen derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, ureaform, and hydrolyzed feather meal.
Available Particle Sizes:
- Medium Grade, 200 SGN (2.8 mm - 1.4 mm)
- 50 lb. covers 8,000 ft2 @ 1 lb. N per 1,000 ft2 (44 lb. N per acre)
- 22.67 kg covers 744 m2 @ 0.5 kg N per 100 m2 (50 kg N per hectare)
- Apply 6.25 lb. per 1,000 ft2
- Apply 32 g per 1 m2
Incorporating into Potting Soil Mixes and other Container Substrates:
Suståne 16-4-8 120-day provides a constant release of nutrients for approximately 180-days when used with container substrates with an average temperature of 70oF / 21oC. When determining application rates consider all cultural practices including irrigation, container substrate physical characteristics, and growing environment.
Container Mix Application Rates:
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|lb. per cubic yard||kg per cubic meter|
|Landscape Application Rates by Area|
|lb. per 1,000 square feet||kg per 100 square meter|
Bulk Density of Suståne 4-2-2:
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|Rounded Measure (Volume)||Grams (weight)|
|Teaspoon (tsp)||Tablespoon (Tbs)||1 oz||1/4 cup||1/2 cup||1 cup|
Container Topdressing Application Rates in Grams:
Low Rate: Recommended for use on salt-sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%) and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
Medium Rate: Recommended for use on salt-sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%) and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
High Rate: Recommended for use on heavy feeding species; with production systems utilizing high leaching fractions (greater than 20%); and when applied to light, porous substrates (total porosity greater than 80%).
- These rates are intended as guidelines. Suståne encourages a trial prior to changing any fertilizer program.
- Do not steam sterilize container mix after fertilizer has been incorporated.
- Do not store container mix more than two weeks after incorporating fertilizer. Plant material can be damaged from salt accumulation.
- Monitor electrical conductivity (EC) of container substrate throughout the production cycle.
- If the mix is stored longer than two weeks, leaching container mix may be required to remove accumulated salts.
- Adjust application rate as needed.