Suståne 8-2-4 is a natural organic slow-release fertilizer that provides a high amount of organic nitrogen for lasting plant nutrition.
Suståne 8-2-4 natural and organic fertilizer which provides a balanced feed that promotes a rapid and vigorous vegetative establishment with 6 - 12 weeks of nitrogen in the organic slow-release form. Suståne replenishes the soil with a rich supply of humus (stabilized organic matter) and all of the primary, secondary and minor nutrients essential for quality growth. Suståne 8-2-4 provides a combination of dense plant nutrients and organic substances derived from biologically stable compost plus natural sulfate of potash and feather meal.
Suståne 8-2-4 provides a safe, simple, and cost-effective feeding solution for all types of crops. 8-2-4 provides balanced nutrition from seed through harvest. Suståne 8-2-4 is the perfect fertilizer for when you need significant quantities of organic slow-release nitrogen with low burn potential. Great for specialty crop production in high-quality soils or potting mixes.
Suståne 8-2-4 is a complete package fertilizer containing Slow Release Nitrogen, chelated micronutrients, organic phosphorous, and humic substances. Suståne 8-2-4 has been demonstrated time and again to surpass synthetic turf starter fertilizers and other sources of humates and plant biostimulants.
For use in the production of certified organic gardens, turfgrass and landscape maintenance, greenhouse bedding plants and annual establishment, erosion control, native reestablishment, and soil reclamation and remediation.
Benefits of Suståne 8-2-4
- Rich in humic acids
- Increases the nutrient and water holding capacity of the soil
- Strengthens plants tolerance against hot dry conditions
- Promotes greater root development
- Improves buffering against changes in soil pH
- Increases the soil’s ability to suppress plant pathogens
- Increases soil porosity and stability for greater root development and water holding capacity
Always Safe for Plants, People, Pollinators and the Environment
- Manufactured by Suståne in the USA at an EPA permitted facility.
- Pathogen and weed-free, no blood or bone products. Allowed for export to over 60 countries worldwide.
- Aerobic composting eliminates animal and rodent attraction to the application site.
- Contains naturally occurring beneficial bacteria and fungi that are necessary to begin the nutrient life cycle in poor soil.
- Suståne is fully composted eliminating the need for sterilization, permitting a healthy environment for beneficial microbial populations.
Suståne Integrated Soil Management Program:
Turf Establishment, Seeding, New Lawn Construction, Laying Sod and Sprigging:
Suståne 8-2-4 is a complete package fertilizer containing Slow Release Nitrogen, chelated micronutrients, organic phosphorous and humic substances. Suståne 8-2-4 has been demonstrated time and again to surpass synthetic turf starter fertilizers and other sources of humates and plant biostimulants.
Preplant - Broadcast and Incorporate into the top 4 in. (10 cm) of soil
- 25 lb. per 1,000 ft2 or 2,200 lb. per acre
- 12.5 kg per 100 m2 or 1,250 kg per hectare
Postplant (45-60 days) - Broadcast and water in
- 12.5 lb. per 1,000 ft2 or 1,100 lb. per acre
- 6.25 kg per 100 m2 or 1,250 kg per hectare
Turfgrass & Landscape Maintenance:
Professional landscapers have increasingly turned to Suståne 8-2-4 for use on high maintenance turf and landscaped environments. While synthetic fertilizers supply plant growth nutrients, they do not supply the organic matter required to maintain quality growth. Using fully composted natural fertilizers increases the levels of beneficial microbial activity, which in turn converts nutrients into plant-available forms.
Warm Season Turf
- Athletic Fields, Parks and Lawncare
- Apply 4-7 times per season
- Spring and Fall - 12.5 lb. per 1,000 ft2
- Summer - 10 lb. per 1,000 ft2
Cool Season Turf
- Athletic Fields, Parks and Lawncare
- Apply 2-3 times per season
- 12.5 lbs. per 1,000 ft2
Soil Preparation For Flower & Shrub Beds
- Light, Sandy Soil: 10 lb. per 100 ft2
- Medium, Clay Loam Soil: 7.5 lb. ft2
- Heavy, Silty, Clay Loam: 5 lb. per 100 ft2
Land Management, Native Restoration & Erosion Control Programs:
- For 44 lb. of N per acre apply 550 lb.
- For 90 lb. of N per acre apply 1100 lb.
- For 130 lb. of N per acre apply 1700 lb.
- Light, High Sandy Soil: 10 lb. per 100 square feet of bed
- Medium, Clay Loam Soil: 7.5 lb. per 100 square feet of bed
- Heavy, Silty, Clay Loam: 5 lb. per 100 square feet of bed
(Hydroseeding: Mix with water solution at a ratio of 4 lb. Suståne 8-2-4 to 1 gallon of water or 2 tons per 1,000-gallon tank)
Incorporating into Potting Soil Mixes and other Container Substrates:
Sustane 8-2-4 provides a constant release of nutrients when used with container substrates with an average temperature of 70oF / 21oC. When determining application rates consider all cultural practices including irrigation, container substrate physical characteristics, and growing environment.
Container Mix Application Rates:
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|lb. per cubic yard||kg per cubic meter|
Low Rate: Recommended for use on salt-sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed; with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%); and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
Medium Rate: Recommended for use on medium feeding species; on most nursery stock and foliage plants; and when liquid feed is not performed concurrently.
High Rate: Recommended for use on heavy feeding species; with production systems utilizing high leaching fractions (greater than 20%); and when applied to light, porous substrates (total porosity greater than 80%).
Bulk Density of Suståne 8-2-4:
|Rounded Measure (Volume)||Grams (weight)|
|Teaspoon (tsp)||Tablespoon (Tbsp.)||1 oz.||1/4 cup||1/2 cup||1 cup|
Container Topdressing Application Rates in Grams:
|Rate||5" Std.||6" Std.||1 gallon||2 gallon||3 gallon||5 gallon||7 gallon||10 gallon||15 gallon|
- These rates are intended as guidelines. Suståne encourages a trial prior to changing any fertilizer program.
- Do not steam sterilize container mix after fertilizer has been incorporated.
- Do not store container mix more than two weeks after incorporating fertilizer. Plant material can be damaged by salt accumulation.
- Monitor electrical conductivity (EC) of container substrate throughout the production cycle.
- If the mix is stored longer than two weeks, leaching container mix may be required to remove accumulated salts.
- Adjust application rate as needed.
|Total Nitrogen (N)||8%|
|0.4% Ammoniacal Nitrogen|
|0.4% Water Soluble Organic Nitrogen|
|7.2% Water Insoluble Organic Nitrogen*|
|Available Phosphate (P2O5)||2%|
|Soluble Potash (K2O)||4%|
Total Plant Nutrition
|Bulk Density lb./cu. ft||38|
|% of Total N as Slow Release||90%|
Derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, and sulfate of potash.
*7.2% slowly available nitrogen from aerobically composted turkey litter and feather meal
Available Particle Sizes:
- Medium Grade, 200 SGN (2.8 mm - 1.4 mm)
- Fine Grade, 100 SGN (1.4 mm - 0.6 mm)
- 50 lb. covers 4000 ft2 @ 1 lb. N per 1000 ft2 (44 lb. N per acre)
- 22.67 kg covers 372 m2 @ 0.5 kg N per 100 m2 (50 kg N per hectare)
- Apply 12.5 lb. per 1000 ft2
- Apply 63 g per 1 m2
lfate of potash.
*6.4% slowly available nitrogen from aerobically composted turkey litter and feather meal