Suståne® 4-6-4 Granulated Slow Release Nitrogen Fertilizer
Organic Plant Starter and Soil Builder for Agriculture
Suståne 4-6-4 is an organic slow-release starter fertilizer and soil builder for all types of plants. Ideal in-furrow starter applications on agronomic crops, and general feeding of specialty crops such as vegetables, roots, herbs, fruits, and flowers. Trusted by nurserymen, master gardeners, farmers, and professional growers around the world.
Suståne 4-6-4 is a compost-based organic starter and maintenance fertilizer. It replenishes the soil with a rich supply of humus and all plant essential nutrients. Suståne 4-6-4 provides a balanced mix of slow-release nitrogen and other nutrients derived from biologically stable compost, natural potash, and feather meal.
While synthetic fertilizers supply plant growth nutrients, they do not supply the organic matter required to maintain quality growth. Using fully composted natural fertilizers increases the levels of beneficial microbial activity, which in turn converts nutrients into plant-available forms.
Benefits of Suståne 4-6-4
- Adds approximately 5% humates by volume, increasing cation exchange and organic matter
- Increases the nutrient and water holding capacity of the soil, strengthening plant tolerance to hot dry conditions
- Promotes healthy root development
- Improves buffering against changes in soil pH
- Increases the soil’s ability to suppress plant pathogens
- Increases soil aggregate stability, porosity, and quality for greater root development and water holding capacity
Always Safe for Plants, People, and the Environment
- Manufactured by Suståne in the USA at an EPA permitted facility
- Pathogen and weed seed free
- Contains no pharmaceutical waste
- Allowed for export to over 60 countries worldwide.
- Derived from aerobically composted materials, so it won't attract insects or rodents to the application site
- Contains compost-based microorganisms to help replenish life in poor soils
- Fully tested and compliant with the national organic standards and the Food Safety Modernization Act requirements for fresh fruit and vegetable production
- Aerobic composting eliminates animal and rodent attraction to the application site.
- It contains naturally occurring beneficial bacteria and fungi that are necessary to begin the nutrient life cycle in poor soil.
- Suståne is fully composted eliminating the need for sterilization, permitting a healthy environment for beneficial microbial populations.
- Light, High Sandy Soil: 20 lb. per 100 ft2 of bed
- Medium, Clay Loam Soil: 15 lb. per 100 ft2 of bed
- Heavy, Silty, Clay Loam: 10 lb. per 100 ft2 of bed
Low Rate: Recommended for use on salt-sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed; with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%); and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
Medium Rate: Recommended for use on medium feeding species; on most nursery stock and foliage plants; and when liquid feed is not performed concurrently.
High Rate: Recommended for use on heavy feeding species; with production systems utilizing high leaching fractions (greater than 20%); and when applied to light, porous substrates (total porosity greater than 80%).
|Apples/fruit trees||annual||broadcast||1 lb. per 1" tree dia.||1 lb. per 1" tree dia.||1 lb. per 1" tree dia.|
|Brassicas*||at transplant & 4 leaf stage||broadcast||2.8||9.2||400|
|2 wk. pre-crown set||sidedress||5.2||17.2||750|
|Carrots||at planting & 4wks pre-harvest||sidedress||1.4||4.6||200|
|Curcubits (all vine crops)||post plant||in row||8.2||22.6||1,200|
|Garlic||apply 3x per season||sidedress||1.5||5.2||225|
|Lettuce-high density (12-18")||at transplant & after 2 wks||sidedress||15.5||51.7||2,250|
|Lettuce-low density (30")||at transplant & after 2 wks||sidedress||7.8||25.8||1,125|
|Onions||at transplant & at 10" ht||sidedress||1.9||6.4||280|
|Peppers||at transplant & pre-blossom||sidedress||2.4||8||350|
|Potatoes||at seeding||direct on row||11.3||37.9||1,650|
|Raspberries, year 1||at transplant||banded on row||5.5||18.4||800|
|Raspberries, year 2||spring application||broadcast over row||2||6.9||300|
|Small Grains||at seeding||direct with seed||0.6||2.0||88|
|Strawberries, year 1||at transplant & pre-runner||in row||3.4||11.5||500|
|Strawberries, year 2||at dormancy break||broadcast over row||2.9||6.9||300|
|Sweet Corn, early||starter||sidedress||5.5||18.4||800|
|Sweet Corn, mid-season||at planting||sidedress||5.5||18.4||800|
|Squash, hollow stem||pre or post plant||broadcast||6.9||23.0||1,000|
|Tomatoes||at transplant||sidedress 3-4" away||17.2||57.4||2,500|
* Includes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, chinese cabbage, bok choy, and mustard greens.
Incorporating into Potting Soil Mixes and other Container Substrates:
Sustane 4-6-4 provides a constant release of nutrients when used with container substrates with an average temperature of 70oF / 21oC. When determining application rates consider all cultural practices including irrigation, container substrate physical characteristics, and growing environment.
Bulk Density of Suståne 4-6-4:
|Rounded Measure (Volume)||Grams (weight)|
|Teaspoon (tsp)||Tablespoon (Tbs)||1 oz||1/4 cup||1/2 cup||1 cup|
Container Mix Application Rates:
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|lb. per cubic yard||kg per cubic meter|
Container Topdressing Application Rates in Grams:
|Rate||5" Std.||6" Std.||1 gallon||2 gallon||3 gallon||5 gallon||7 gallon||10 gallon||15 gallon|
- These rates are intended as guidelines. Suståne encourages a trial prior to changing any fertilizer program.
- Do not steam sterilize container mix after fertilizer has been incorporated.
- Do not store container mix more than two weeks after incorporating fertilizer. Plant material can be damaged by salt accumulation.
- Monitor electrical conductivity (EC) of container substrate throughout the production cycle.
- If the mix is stored longer than two weeks, leaching container mix may be required to remove accumulated salts.
- Adjust application rate as needed.
Total Nitrogen (N)0.4% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
0.4% Other Water Soluble Nitrogen
3.2% Water Insoluble Nitrogen*
|Available Phosphate (P(2O5)||6%|
|Soluble Potash (K2O)||4%|
Total Plant Nutrition
|Bulk Density lb./cu. ft||36|
|% of Total N as Slow Release||80%|
Derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, and sulfate of potash.
*3.2% slowly available nitrogen from aerobically composted turkey litter and feather meal
Available Particle Sizes:
- Medium Grade, 200 SGN (2.8 mm - 1.4 mm)
- Fine Grade, 100 SGN (1.4 mm - 0.6 mm)