Suståne 8-4-4 Natural Organic 45 Day Slow Release Fertilizer
Designed for Professional Nursery, Greenhouse and Landscape Applications
8-4-4 Container Media Grade (CMG) granules are ideal for use with plug production to provide uniform distribution of nutrients in blending organic potting soils and in low volume containers and tray mixes. When used in containers the nutrient release profile is 45 days (at 25°C / 70°F). Suståne 8-4-4 is composed of aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, and sulfate of potash. Suståne 8-4-4 All Natural is available in both fine and medium particle sizes.
Sustane 8-4-4 All Natural is high nitrogen, natural and organic fertilizer specifically designed for professional nursery, greenhouse, and landscape applications. Suståne 8-4-4 is ideal for organic production of bedding and foliage crops, herbs, and vegetables including basil, cilantro, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Also excellent in hanging baskets and the production of annuals such as begonias, chrysanthemums, petunias, impatiens, and geraniums.
Features of Suståne 8-4-4:
- Provides six to eight weeks of nutrient release in containers.
- Provides season-long nutrient release under field conditions.
- Low salt index enhances safety to plants.
- Builds soil through particle aggregation.
- Increases biological diversity for better roots.
- Improves permeability.
- Increases nutrient cycling.
Benefits of Suståne 8-4-4
- Rich in humic acids
- Increases the nutrient and water holding capacity of the soil
- Strengthens plants tolerance against hot dry conditions
- Promotes greater root development
- Improves buffering against changes in soil pH
- Increases the soil’s ability to suppress plant pathogens
- Increases soil porosity and stability for greater root development and water holding capacity
Always Safe for Plants, People and the Environment
- Manufactured by Suståne in the USA at an EPA permitted facility.
- Pathogen and weed-free, no sewage sludge, blood, or meat products.
- Allowed for export to over 60 countries worldwide.
- Aerobic composting eliminates animal and rodent attraction to the application site.
- Contains naturally occurring beneficial bacteria and fungi that are necessary to begin the nutrient life cycle in poor soil.
- Suståne is fully composted eliminating the need for sterilization, permitting a healthy environment for beneficial microbial populations.
Coverage:50 lb. covers 4000 f2 @ 1 lb. N per 1000 ft2 (44 lb. N per acre)
22.67 kg covers 372 m2 @ 0.5 kg N per 100 m2 (50 kg N per hectare)
Rates:Apply 12.5 lb. per 1000 ft2
Apply 61 g per 1 m2
Bulk Density of Suståne 8-4-4:
|ROUNDED MEASURE||WEIGHT GRAMS|
Incorporating into Potting Soil Mixes and other Container Substrates:
Suståne 8-4-4 provides a constant release of nutrients when used with container substrates with an average temperature of 70oF / 21oC. When determining application rates consider all cultural practices including irrigation, container substrate physical characteristics, and growing environment.
Container Mix Application Rates:
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|lb. per cubic yard||kg per cubic meter|
Low Rate: Recommended for use on salt-sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed; with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%); and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
Medium Rate: Recommended for use on medium feeding species; on most nursery stock and foliage plants; and when liquid feed is not performed concurrently.
High Rate: Recommended for use on heavy feeding species; with production systems utilizing high leaching fractions (greater than 20%); and when applied to light, porous substrates (total porosity greater than 80%).
Container Topdressing Application Rates in Grams:
- These rates are intended as guidelines. Suståne encourages a trial prior to changing any fertilizer program.
- Do not steam sterilize container mix after fertilizer has been incorporated.
- Do not store container mix more than two weeks after incorporating fertilizer. Plant material can be damaged from salt accumulation.
- Monitor electrical conductivity (EC) of container substrate throughout the production cycle.
- If the mix is stored longer than two weeks, leaching container mix may be required to remove accumulated salts.
- Adjust application rate as needed.
Crop Application Rates for Suståne 8-4-4:
|Apples/fruit trees||annual||broadcast||1 lb. per 1" tree dia.||1 lb. per 1" tree dia.||1 lb. per 1" tree dia.|
|Brassicas*||at transplant & 4 leaf stage||broadcast||1.4||4.6||200|
|2 wk. pre-crown set||sidedress||2.6||8.63||75|
|Carrots||at planting & 4wks pre-harvest||sidedress||0.7||2.3||100|
|Curcubits (all vine crops)||post plant||in row||4||13.8||600|
|Garlic||apply 3x per season||sidedress||0.8||2.6||113|
|Lettuce-high density (12-18")||at transplant & after 2 wks||sidedress||7.8||25.8||1,125|
|Lettuce-low density (30")||at transplant & after 2 wks||sidedress||4||12.9||563|
|Onions||at transplant & at 10" ht||sidedress||0.8||3.2||140|
|Peppers||at transplant & pre-blossom||sidedress||1.2||4||175|
|Potatoes||at seeding||direct on row||5.7||19||825|
|Raspberries, year 1||at transplant||banded on row||2.8||9.2||400|
|Raspberries, year 2||spring application||broadcast over row||1||3.5||150|
|Small Grains||at seeding||direct with seed||0.3||1.0||44|
|Strawberries, year 1||at transplant & pre-runner||in row||1.7||5.8||250|
|Strawberries, year 2||at dormancy break||broadcast over row||1.0||3.5||150|
|Sweet Corn, early||starter||sidedress||2.8||9.2||400|
|Sweet Corn, mid-season||at planting||sidedress||2.8||9.2||400|
|Squash, hollow stem||pre or post plant||broadcast||3.5||11.5||500|
|Tomatoes||at transplant||sidedress 3-4" away||8.6||28.7||1,250|
*Includes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, Chinese cabbage, bok choy, and mustard greens.
|Total Nitrogen (N)||8%|
|0.4% Ammoniacal Nitrogen|
|0.4% Water Soluble Organic Nitrogen|
|7.2% Water Insoluble Organic Nitrogen*|
|Available Phosphate (P2O5)||4%|
|Soluble Potash (K2O)||4%|
Total Plant Nutrition
|Carbon: Nitrogen (C:N)||4:1|
|Bulk Density lb./cu. ft||38|
|% of Total N as Slow Release||90%|
Derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, and sulfate of potash.
*7.2% slowly available nitrogen from aerobically composted turkey litter and feather meal
Available Particle Size:
- Container Media Grade, 100 to 200 SGN (1.0 mm 2.0 mm)