Suståne® 8-2-4 All Natural Plant Food for Organic Lawns & Landscapes
Suståne 8-2-4 All Natural Slow Release Nitrogen Fertilizer provides 6 - 12 weeks of nitrogen in the organic slow release form. Suståne replenishes the soil with a rich supply of humus (stabilized organic matter) and all of the essential nutrients required for quality growth. Suståne 8-2-4 All Natural provides a combination of plant nutrients and organic substances derived from biologically stable compost plus natural sulfate of potash and feather meal.
Suståne 8-2-4 is allowed for use on the production of organic fruits and vegetables.
This product is recommended for use on lawns and landscape areas as well as trees, shrubs, flowers, fruits, vegetables and all plant varieties.
Benefits of Suståne 8-2-4 Plant Food
- Rich in humic acids
- Increases the nutrient and water holding capacity of the soil
- Strengthens plants tolerance against hot dry conditions
- Promotes greater root development
- Improves buffering against changes in soil pH
- Increases the soil’s ability to suppress plant pathogens
- Increases soil porosity and stability for greater root development and water holding capacity
Always Safe for Plants, People and the Environment
- Manufactured by Suståne in the USA at an EPA permitted facility.
- Pathogen and weed free, no blood or bone products. Allowed for export to over 60 countries world wide.
- Aerobic composting eliminates animal and rodent attraction to application site.
- Contains naturally occurring beneficial bacteria and fungi that are necessary to begin nutrient life cycle in poor soil.
- Suståne is fully composted eliminating the need for sterilization, permitting a healthy environment for beneficial microbial populations.
|Total Nitrogen (N)||8%|
|0.8% Ammoniacal Nitrogen|
|0.8% Water Soluble Organic Nitrogen|
|6.4% Water Insoluble Organic Nitrogen*|
|Available Phosphate (P2O5)||2%|
|Soluble Potash (K2O)||4%|
Total Plant Nutrition
|Bulk Density lb./cu. ft||36|
|Salt Index (scale 1-100)||4|
|% of Total N as Slow Release||80%|
Derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, and sulfate of potash.
*6.4% slowly available nitrogen from aerobically composted turkey litter and feather meal
- 50 lb. covers 2000 f2 @ 1 lb. N per 1000 ft2 (44 lb. N per acre)
- 22.67 kg covers 186 m2 @ 0.5 kg N per 100 m2 (50 kg N per hectare)
- Apply 25 lb. per 1000 ft2
- Apply 125 g per 1 m2
General Product Application Rates and Methods:
Lawns & Turfgrass Maintenance: Broadcast 10 lbs of Suståne for every 1,000 ft2 of turfgrass (6.2 kg per 100 m2). Apply 2 to 4 times per year in early spring, late spring, and autumn.
Turfgrass Establishment (Seed & Sod): Broadcast 12.5 lbs of Suståne for every 1,000 ft2 prior to planting (7.75 kg per 100 m2). Incorporate into the top 2” (5 cm) of soil. Reapply in 30 to 60 days.
New Garden Bed Preparation: Apply ½ cup Suståne for every 10 ft2 of bed space or 1.5 lbs. per 100 ft2 (63 grams per m2). Incorporate into the top 4” (10cm) of soil.
Vegetable Row Crops: Apply ½ cup of Suståne for every 10 ft of row space (23 grams per m).
Turf Establishment, Seeding, New Lawn Construction Laying Sod and Sprigging:
Turf establishment accelerates with 8-2-4 Plant Food All Natural Organic Fertilizer from Suståne. A complete package containing Slow Release Nitrogen, chelated micronutrients, organic phosphorous and humic substances. Sustane 8-2-4-plant-food has been demonstrated time and again to surpass synthetic turf starter fertilizers and other sources of humates and plant biostimulants.
Preplant - Broadcast and Incorporate into top 4 in. (5 cm) of soil
- 50 lb. per 1,000 ft2 or 2,200 lb. per acre
- 25 kg per 100 m2 or 1,250 kg per hectare
Postplant (45-60 days) - Broadcast and water in
- 25 lb. per 1,000 ft2 or 1,100 lb. per acre
- 12.5 kg per 100 m2 or 1,250 kg per hectare
Land Management, Native Restoration & Erosion Control Programs:
- For 44 lb. of N per acre apply 1100 lb.
- For 90 lb. of N per acre apply 2200 lb.
- For 130 lb. of N per acre apply 3400 lb.
- Light, High Sandy Soil: 20 lb. per 100 square feet of bed
- Medium, Clay Loam Soil: 15 lb. per 100 square feet of bed
- Heavy, Silty, Clay Loam: 10 lb. per 100 square feet of bed
(Hydroseeding: Mix with water solution at a ratio of 4 lb. Suståne 8-2-4 to 1 innergallon of water or 2 tons per 1,000 gallon tank)
Crop Application Rates for Suståne 8-2-4 Plant Food:
Incorporating into Potting Soil Mixes and other Container Substrates:
Sustane 8-2-4 Plant Food provides constant release of nutrients when used with container substrates with average temperature of 70oF / 21oC. When determining application rates consider all cultural practices including irrigation, container substrate physical characteristics and growing environment.
Container Mix Application Rates
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|lb. per cubic yard||kg per cubic meter|
Low Rate: Recommended for use on salt sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%) and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
Medium Rate: Recommended for use on salt sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%) and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
High Rate: Recommended for use on heavy feeding species; with production systems utilizing high leaching fractions (greater than 20%); and when applied to light, porous substrates (total porosity greater than 80%).
Bulk Density of Suståne 8-2-4 Plant Food:
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|Rounded Measure (Volume)||Grams (weight)|
|Teaspoon (tsp)||Tablespoon (Tbs)||1 oz||1/4 cup||1/2 cup||1 cup|
Container Topdressing Application Rates in Grams:
|Rate||5" Std.||6" Std.||1 gallon||2 gallon||3 gallon||5 gallon||7 gallon||10 gallon||15 gallon|
- These rates are intended as guidelines. Suståne encourages a trial prior to changing any fertilizer program.
- Do not steam sterilize container mix after fertilizer has been incorporated.
- Do not store container mix more than two weeks after incorporating fertilizer. Plant material can be damaged from salt accumulation.
- Monitor electrical conductivity (EC) of container substrate throughout production cycle.
- If mix is stored longer than two weeks, leaching container mix may be required to remove accumulated salts
- Adjust application rate as needed.