Suståne® 4-6-4 + Humates Natural Organic Fertilizer for Amending Container Substrates.
Suståne 4-6-4+Humates is made from Suståne aerobically composted turkey litter, hydrolyzed feather meal, sulfate of potash and naturally occurring humates. Designed to improve soil health and provide a full season nutrient supply. Suståne 4-6-4+Humates is all natural, slow release nitrogen plus natural phosphorous, potassium and all secondary and trace elements – high in organic content.
4-6-4+Humates is perfect for general soil building; landscape bed preparation, shrub and tree establishment, and incorporation into potting soils. Allowed for use in the production of certified organic crops. Available in both Medium Grade and Fine Grade particle sizes. Fine Grade granules are ideal for use with plug production to provide uniform distribution of nutrients in low volume pots.
Benefits of Suståne 4-6-4+Humates
- Adds approximately 12% humates by volume
- Increases the nutrient and water holding capacity of the soil
- Strengthens plants tolerance against hot dry conditions
- Promotes greater root development
- Improves buffering against changes in soil pH
- Increases the soil’s ability to suppress plant pathogens
- Increases soil porosity and stability for greater root development and water holding capacity
Always Safe for Plants, People, and the Environment
- Manufactured by Suståne in the USA at an EPA permitted facility.
- Pathogen and weed-free, no sewage sludge, blood, or meat products. Allowed for export to over 60 countries worldwide.
- Aerobic composting eliminates animal and rodent attraction to the application site.
- It contains naturally occurring beneficial bacteria and fungi that are necessary to begin the nutrient life cycle in poor soil.
- Suståne is fully composted eliminating the need for sterilization, permitting a healthy environment for beneficial microbial populations.
|Total Nitrogen (N)||4%|
|0.4% Ammoniacal Nitrogen|
|0.4% Water Soluble Organic Nitrogen|
|3.2% Water Insoluble Organic Nitrogen*|
|Available Phosphate (P2O5)||6%|
|Soluble Potash (K2O)||4%|
Total Plant Nutrition
|Carbon: Nitrogen (C:N)||4:1|
|Bulk Density lb./cu. ft||36|
|Salt Index (scale 1-100)||4|
|% of Total N as Slow Release||80%|
Derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, and sulfate of potash.
*3.2% slowly available nitrogen from aerobically composted turkey litter and feather meal
Available Particle Sizes:
- Medium Grade, 200 SGN (2.8 mm - 1.4 mm)
- Fine Grade, 100 SGN (1.4 mm - 0.6 mm)
- 50 lb. covers 2000 f2 @ 1 lb. N per 1000 ft2 (44 lb. N per acre)
- 22.67 kg covers 186 m2 @ 0.5 kg N per 100 m2 (50 kg N per hectare)
- Apply 25 lb. per 1000 ft2
- Apply 125 g per 1 m2
Land Management, Native Restoration & Erosion Control Programs:
- For 44 lb. of N per acre apply 1100 lb.
- For 90 lb. of N per acre apply 2200 lb.
- For 130 lb. of N per acre apply 3400 lb.
- Light, High Sandy Soil: 20 lb. per 100 square feet of bed
- Medium, Clay Loam Soil: 15 lb. per 100 square feet of bed
- Heavy, Silty, Clay Loam: 10 lb. per 100 square feet of bed
(Hydroseeding: Mix with water solution at a ratio of 4 lb. Suståne 4-6-4+Humates to 1 gallon of water or 2 tons per 1,000-gallon tank)
Incorporating into Potting Soil Mixes and other Container Substrates:
Sustane 4-6-4+Humates provides constant release of nutrients when used with container substrates with an average temperature of 70oF / 21oC. When determining application rates consider all cultural practices including irrigation, container substrate physical characteristics, and growing environment.
Container Mix Application Rates
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|lb. per cubic yard||kg. per cubic meter|
Low Rate: Recommended for use on salt-sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%) and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
Medium Rate: Recommended for use on salt-sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%) and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
High Rate: Recommended for use on heavy feeding species; with production systems utilizing high leaching fractions (greater than 20%); and when applied to light, porous substrates (total porosity greater than 80%).
Bulk Density of Suståne 4-6-4+Humates:
|Rounded Measure (Volume)||Grams (weight)|
|Teaspoon (tsp)||Tablespoon (Tbs)||1 oz||1/4 cup||1/2 cup||1 cup|
Container Topdressing Application Rates in Grams:
|Rate||5" Std.||6" Std.||1 gallon||2 gallon||3 gallon||5 gallon||7 gallon||10 gallon||15 gallon|
- These rates are intended as guidelines. Suståne encourages a trial prior to changing any fertilizer program.
- Do not steam sterilize container mix after fertilizer has been incorporated.
- Do not store container mix more than two weeks after incorporating fertilizer. Plant material can be damaged from salt accumulation.
- Monitor electrical conductivity (EC) of container substrate throughout the production cycle.
- If the mix is stored longer than two weeks, leaching container mix may be required to remove accumulated salts.
- Adjust application rate as needed.