|Label||Spec Sheet||MSDS||OMRI Certificate||WSDA Certificate|
Suståne® 8-4-4 Natural Organic 45 Day Slow Release Fertilizer
Designed for Professional Nursery, Greenhouse and Landscape Applications
Suståne 8-4-4 is a high nitrogen organic fertilizer designed specifically for professional nursery and greenhouse applications. Suståne 8-4-4 available in both fine and medium particle sizes. Fine granules are ideal for use with plug production to provide uniform distribution of nutrients in low volume containers. When used in containers the nutrient release profile is 45 days. Suståne 8-4-4 is composed of aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, and sulfate of potash.
Suståne 8-4-4 all natural fertilizer is ideal for the production of bedding and foliage crops, hanging baskets, herbs and vegetables. Suståne 8-4-4 is excellent for the production of Begonias, Petunias, Impatiens, Geraniums, Caladiums, Chrysanthemums, and vegetable crops. When used in containers, Suståne 8-4-4, has a nutrient release profile of 45 days (at 25°C / 70°F).
Features of Suståne 8-4-4:
- Provides six to eight weeks of nutrient release in containers.
- Provides season long nutrient release under field conditions.
- Low salt index enhances safety to plants.
- Builds soil through particle aggregation.
- Increases biological diversity for better roots.
- Improves permeability.
- Increases nutrient cycling.
Benefits of Suståne 8-4-4
- Rich in humic acids
- Increases the nutrient and water holding capacity of the soil
- Strengthens plants tolerance against hot dry conditions
- Promotes greater root development
- Improves buffering against changes in soil pH
- Increases the soil’s ability to suppress plant pathogens
- Increases soil porosity and stability for greater root development and water holding capacity
Always Safe for Plants, People and the Environment
- Manufactured by Suståne in the USA at an EPA permitted facility.
- Pathogen and weed free, no sewage sludge, blood or meat products. Allowed for export to over 60 countries world wide.
- Aerobic composting eliminates animal and rodent attraction to application site.
- Contains naturally occurring beneficial bacteria and fungi that are necessary to begin nutrient life cycle in poor soil.
- Suståne is fully composted eliminating the need for sterilization, permitting a healthy environment for beneficial microbial populations.
|Total Nitrogen (N)||8%|
|0.4% Ammoniacal Nitrogen|
|0.4% Water Soluble Organic Nitrogen|
|7.2% Water Insoluble Organic Nitrogen*|
|Available Phosphate (P2O5)||2%|
|Souble Potash (K2O)||4%|
Total Plant Nutrition
|Bulk Density lb./cu. ft||38|
|Salt Index (scale 1-100)||4|
|% of Total N as Slow Release||90%|
Derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, and sulfate of potash.
*7.2% slowly available nitrogen from aerobically composted turkey litter and feather meal
Available Particle Size:
- Medium Grade, 200 SGN (2.8 mm - 1.4 mm)
- Fine Grade, 100 SGN (1.4 mm - 0.6 mm)
- 50 lb. covers 4000 f2 @ 1 lb. N per 1000 ft2 (44 lb. N per acre)
- 22.67 kg covers 372 m2 @ 0.5 kg N per 100 m2 (50 kg N per hectare)
- Apply 12.5 lb. per 1000 ft2
- Apply 63 g per 1 m2
Incorporating into Potting Soil Mixes and other Container Substrates:
Suståne 8-4-4 provides constant release of nutrients when used with container substrates with average temperature of 70oF / 21oC. When determining application rates consider all cultural practices including irrigation, container substrate physical characteristics and growing environment.
Container Mix Application Rates:
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|lb. per cubic yard||kg per cubic meter|
Low Rate: Recommended for use on salt sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed; with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%); and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
Medium Rate: Recommended for use on medium feeding species; on most nursery stock and foliage plants; and when liquid feed is not performed concurrently.
High Rate: Recommended for use on heavy feeding species; with production systems utilizing high leaching fractions (greater than 20%); and when applied to light, porous substrates (total porosity greater than 80%).
Bulk Density of Suståne 8-4-4:
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|Rounded Measure (Volume)||Grams (weight)|
|Teaspoon (tsp)||Tablespoon (Tbs)||1 oz||1/4 cup||1/2 cup||1 cup|
Container Topdressing Application Rates in Grams:
|Rate||5" Std.||6" Std.||1 gallon||2 gallon||3 gallon||5 gallon||7 gallon||10 gallon||15 gallon|
- These rates are intended as guidelines. Suståne encourages a trial prior to changing any fertilizer program.
- Do not steam sterilize container mix after fertilizer has been incorporated.
- Do not store container mix more than two weeks after incorporating fertilizer. Plant material can be damaged from salt accumulation.
- Monitor electrical conductivity (EC) of container substrate throughout production cycle.
- If mix is stored longer than two weeks, leaching container mix may be required to remove accumulated salts.
- Adjust application rate as needed.
Crop Application Rates for Suståne 8-4-4:
|Apples/fruit trees||annual||broadcast||1 lb. per 1" tree dia.||1 lb. per 1" tree dia.||1 lb. per 1" tree dia.|
|Brassicas*||at transplant & 4 leaf stage||broadcast||1.4||4.6||200|
|2 wk. pre-crown set||sidedress||2.6||8.63||75|
|Carrots||at planting & 4wks pre-harvest||sidedress||0.7||2.3||100|
|Curcubits (all vine crops)||post plant||in row||4||13.8||600|
|Garlic||apply 3x per season||sidedress||0.8||2.6||113|
|Lettuce-high density (12-18")||at transplant & after 2 wks||sidedress||7.8||25.8||1,125|
|Lettuce-low density (30")||at transplant & after 2 wks||sidedress||4||12.9||563|
|Onions||at transplant & at 10" ht||sidedress||0.8||3.2||140|
|Peppers||at transplant & pre-blossom||sidedress||1.2||4||175|
|Potatoes||at seeding||direct on row||5.7||19||825|
|Raspberries, year 1||at transplant||banded on row||2.8||9.2||400|
|Raspberries, year 2||spring application||broadcast over row||1||3.5||150|
|Small Grains||at seeding||direct with seed||0.3||1.0||44|
|Strawberries, year 1||at transplant & pre-runner||in row||1.7||5.8||250|
|Strawberries, year 2||at dormancy break||broadcast over row||1.0||3.5||150|
|Sweet Corn, early||starter||sidedress||2.8||9.2||400|
|Sweet Corn, mid-season||at planting||sidedress||2.8||9.2||400|
|Squash, hollow stem||pre or post plant||broadcast||3.5||11.5||500|
|Tomatoes||at transplant||sidedress 3-4" away||8.6||28.7||1,250|
Includes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, Chinese cabbage, bok choy, and mustard greens.