Suståne® 4-2-2 is a granulated organic fertilizer that is rich in organic nitrogen and provides all of the soil building qualities of a concentrated compost.
Suståne 4-2-2 is one of the most economical sources of slow release nitrogen available to the organic grower.
Suståne 4-2-2 Natural Organic is a granulated slow release nitrogen fertilizer made from nutrient rich, concentrated compost. Suståne replenishes the soil with a rich supply of humus (stabilized organic matter) and all of the essential nutrients required for quality growth. Suståne 4-2-2 provides a concentrated package of economic, organic nitrogen with other plant macro and micro nutrients, organic substances and beneficial microbiology derived from biologically stable compost.
For use in the production of certified organic crops, as a general soil builder, greenhouse bedding plants and annual establishment and as a nutrient charge for container substrates.
Benefits of Suståne 4-2-2
- An excellent source of organic nitrogen.
- Can be applied in row, direct with seed.
- Adds approximately 10% humates by weight.
- Contains all primary, secondary and tertiary nutrients for plant growth.
- Low Salt Index (4) requires no delay in planting following application.
- Supplies soil with 60% Organic Matter in the form of stabilized humus.
- Carbon:Nitrogen Ratio (6:1) ensures no N immobilization in soil.
- Increases the nutrient and water holding capacity of the soil.
- Enhances the soil’s ability to suppress plant pathogens.
- Improves soil structure, porosity and stability leading to greater root development, infiltration and soil micro pores.
Always Safe for Plants, People and the Environment
- Manufactured by Suståne in the USA at an EPA permitted facility.
- Pathogen and weed/seed free, no blood, bone or meat products.
- The only organic allowed for export to over 50 countries worldwide.
- USDA NOP, COR, EU and JAS organic compliant.
- Aerobic composting eliminates animal and rodent attraction to application site.
- Suståne will not attract flies or other insects.
- Suståne is fully composted - not sterilized; enhancing the soil environment for beneficial microbial populations.
- Improves and sustains soil health.
|Total Nitrogen (N)||4%|
|0.4% Ammoniacal Nitrogen|
|0.4% Water Soluble Organic Nitrogen|
|3.2% Water Insoluble Organic Nitrogen*|
|Available Phosphate (P2O5)||2%|
|Soluble Potash (K2O)||2%|
Total Plant Nutrition
|Bulk Density lb./cu. ft||38|
|Salt Index (scale 1-100)||4|
|% of Total N as Slow Release||80%|
Derived from aerobically composted turkey litter, feather meal, and sulfate of potash.
*2.4% slowly available nitrogen from aerobically composted turkey litter and feather meal.
Available particle sizes:
- Medium Grade, 200 SGN (2.8 mm - 1.4 mm)
- Fine Grade, 100 SGN (1.4 mm - 0.6 mm)
- 50 lb. covers 2,000 ft2 @ 1 lb. N per 1,000 ft2 (44 lb. N per acre)
- 22.67 kg covers 100 m2 @ 0.5 kg N per 100 m2 (50 kg N per hectare)
- Apply 25 lb. per 1000 ft2
- Apply 125 g per 1 m2
Sustane Integrated Soil Management Program:
Crop Establishment Apply direct in-row with seed at rates of 100 lb. up to 250 lb. per acre.
Broadcast Application Rates:
- For 30 lb. of N per acre apply 750 lb.
- For 50 lb. of N per acre apply 1,250 lb.
- For 70 lb. of N per acre apply 1,750 lb.
For 70 lb. of N per acre apply 2,333 lb.
- Fall application, post harvest. Broadcast apply followed by light incorporation.
- Spring application, pre-plant. Broadcast apply followed by light incorporation.
- During planting, can be applied by grain drills, banded or air seeders, direct with seed.
- During cultivation, apply next to row.
Crop Application Rates for Suståne 4-2-2:
Incorporating Into Potting Soil Mixes and Other Container Substrates:
Sustane 4-2-2 provides constant release of nutrients when used with container substrates with average temperature of 70oF / 21oC. When determining application rates consider all cultural practices including irrigation, container substrate physical characteristics and growing environment.
Container Mix Application Rates
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|lb. per cubic yard||kg per cubic meter|
Low Rate: Recommended for use on salt sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%) and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
Medium Rate: Recommended for use on salt sensitive species; when concurrent with liquid feed with production systems utilizing low leaching fractions (less than 10%) and when applied to heavy potting substrates (total porosity less than 65%).
High Rate: Recommended for use on heavy feeding species; with production systems utilizing high leaching fractions (greater than 20%); and when applied to light, porous substrates (total porosity greater than 80%).
Bulk Density of Sustane 4-2-2
|Container Mix Rates by Volume|
|Rounded Measure (Volume)||Grams (Weight)|
|Teaspoon (tsp)||Tablespoon (Tbs)||1 oz||1/4 cup||1/2 cup||1 cup|
Container Topdressing Application Rates in Grams:
|Rate||5" Std.||6" Std.||1 gallon||2 gallon||3 gallon||5 gallon||7 gallon||10 gallon||15 gallon|
- These rates are intended as guidelines. Suståne encourages a trial prior to changing any fertilizer program.
- Do not steam sterilize container mix after fertilizer has been incorporated.
- Do not store container mix more than two weeks after incorporating fertilizer. Plant material can be damaged from salt accumulation.
- Monitor electrical conductivity (EC) of container substrate throughout production cycle.
- If mix is stored longer than two weeks, leaching container mix may be required to remove accumulated salts.
- Adjust application rate as needed.